Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tilt shift masters

I first came across the tilt-shift technique in a post on bOING bOING, the culture/technology blog. It was about Olivo Barbieri's waterfall series, an image from that is below. Then I found a tutorial on using photoshop to simulate the effect of tilting the focal plane and I was off in a new creative hobby! I loved the 'Oh no! your messing with my brain!' comments I got from friends. Transforming familiar scenes with a false sense of scale was very interesting and lots of fun.

The images below are from early users of the technique and date from the mid 90's. I'm not sure which are digital blurs and which are optical but I am impressed with the artistry and how my brain gets messed with.

Vincent Laforet


Toni Hafkenscheid


Toni Hafkenscheid


Olivo Barbieri


Olivo Barbieri


Gérard Pétremand



Gérard Pétremand

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Chris Reid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 New Zealand License.